Deep Fried Bytes Episode #67: Tips on how to be an Independent Software Consultant with Michael Eaton
Posted by Keith Elder | Posted in Podcast | Posted on 06-04-2011
In this episode we sit down with Michael Eaton, an independent software consultant for over ten years, to help others thinking about becoming an independent software consultant. Michael provides tons of tips including how to manage money, what to charge clients, how much to save for taxes, health insurance, accounting, time tracking tools and tons of other great tips.
Thanks to our guest this episode
Michael is a software developer primarily interested in developing solutions for clients using Microsoft tools and technologies He is a strong believer in Test Driven Design, Continuous Integration and incremental delivery to ensure customers get high-quality and robust solutions that work for them.
Michael’s blog is at http://mjeaton.net/blog
Michael can be found on Twitter at http://twitter.com/mjeaton
Michael can be found on LinkedIn at
- AgileZen – managing tasks with clients
- Harvest – time tracking and invoicing
- Outright – accounting made simple (big picture view of the business)
- Tripit – tracking travel and trips
- ShoeBoxed – tracking expenses
- Evernote – notes (although Michael uses pen and paper still)